Weekend Projects

I had planned on putting in the rainbow garden this last weekend.

One of my volunteer projects as a master gardener is planting a rainbow garden outside of the children’s room at one of our branch libraries. I get donations either monetary or in flats of flowers from area organizations and greenhouses; clean up the garden bed; add composted manure and fertilizer and arrange for different groups to help plant the flowers. This year, I got a little behind and decided to just plant the garden myself.


Parts of the rainbow. Red salvia, orange and yellow marigolds, purple petunias and blue ageratum.

It’s a good thing, cause the weeds and grass had taken over the garden bed. I pulled up the worst of the common chickweed,  pigweed and burdock, which has such a long, large taproot, that I couldn’t remove it all and may be working at it all summer.


Nasty weeds.

The grass had totally grown over the edging, so I spent a good portion of my time cutting the sod and re-edging the bed. I got to try out my new hora hora knife (best birthday gift EVER!). It sliced right thru the sod and made the job much easier. 


Despite the hokey writing on the sheath, this garden knife exceeded expectations! For those that wonder, it came from Smith and Hawkins mail order company.

Still, there were so many tiny weed seedlings that I couldn’t possibly pull them all up so I decided to take the lazy route and used Round-Up to clean it all up. Which means the planting won’t happen until next weekend. I took the flats back home to take care of for the week.

 P5161030 P5161034 

Before and after a couple of hours of work. Next weekend, it will look even better.

My other big project this weekend really ended up taking a short amount of time, though I have been dreading it for weeks.

My Mom asked me to re-pot this old jade plant. It originally came from my grandmother, then my aunt, then my Mom.

I’m the first to admit I’m not much of an indoor gardener, not like Cathy at Outdoors In . Still, the plant needed to be re-potted. You can see how small the old pot is compared to the new one in comparison to the size of the plant. The original pot is old enough to be an antique, and breaking it to get to the plant was not an option.

  P5171036 P5171035

After a lot of thought and discussion, we felt the only route was to cut the plant in half where the two main limbs met and get it out half a plant at a time. I mixed up potting soil and sand together (half and half) and moistened the soil with water and cactus/succulent plant food. I used my garden knife again to slice right thru the roots. Still, I had a hard time getting the plant out and I lost a lot of the root system. I’ll check on it next weekend – hopefully it will still be alive.


About Jill-O

a girl who likes lakes, trees and critters; making an attempt at living the artistic life.
This entry was posted in community, flowers, gardening, spring and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Weekend Projects

  1. Sue says:

    That knife looks like an awesome tool! I’ve been waiting for the temp to go down a bit, but I better go out and be brave, because it is 7:32, and 84 degrees.

    It looks like we both have our work cut out for us. I like your rainbow garden flowers.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s